. .

How to Process Travel Clearance for Minors Going Abroad with DSWD | Latest Guidelines

To prevent child trafficking and other forms  of abuse to minors they maybe encountered traveling abroad alone,the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) urges  parents and guardians to secure travel clearances for their children for 17 years old and below.

The issuance of a travel clearance is specified under the Special Protection of Children Against Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act and the Philippine Passport Act of 1996.

The travel clearance shall be issued by the DSWD to a Filipino minor traveling to a foreign country unaccompanied by his/her parents and to an illegitimate child traveling with his/her father. Personal appearance of the minor is not necessary, DSWD said.

In order to secure  travel clearance for minors traveling abroad the following requirements must be complied:

- Duly accomplished application form

- Birth Certificate (NSO,Photocopy)

- Written consent of both parents/solo parent/legal guardian permitting the minor to travel to a foreign country  alone or with a specific companion

-Two pieces colored passport size photo of the minor taken within the last six months.

- For minors under the care of their parents, they should present a photocopy of NSO-issued marriage certificate of their parents.

- For minors under the care of legal guardians, they should present a photocopy of the certificate of legal guardianship of the minor.

- For minors under the care of a solo parent, they should present either a photocopy of the solo parent identification card from the Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office, or a photocopy of solo parent certification from the Local Social Welfare and Development Office.

-For minors with a deceased parent, they should present a photocopy of the parent’s death certificate.
For illegitimate minors, they should present a certificate of no marriage (CENOMAR) from NSO. If they are traveling abroad accompanied by their biological father, they are still required to secure a travel clearance certificate as parental authority is vested only to the mother of the child, per Article 176 of the Family Code of the Philippines.

- If the minor is traveling with a person other than the parents or legal guardian, a photocopy of the passport of the traveling companion should be presented.

The application for travel clearance together with the required supporting documents shall be submitted by the parent/s or legal guardian or a duly authorized representative to the nearest DSWD regional office.  The application forms may also be downloaded from the DSWD website (www.dswd.gov.ph).

The travel clearance is approved and issued within 24 hours as long as supporting documents are complied with and the social worker’s assessment is completed.